Feeling a bit fatigued. Not quite yourself. Maybe a slight headache. Not really hungry.
With the temperatures in the upper 80’s to 90’s and the humidity on the rise, these symptoms may be very common for many people. Many will hang out in the malls, the ice cream shop or just stay at home by the air conditioner.
The best way to get through these “dog days of summer” is doing something very simple that most would feel too obvious to even mention and that is staying hydrated with pure plain water. Our body is made up of a minimum of 75% water and that needs to be replenished on a regular basis especially during these very hot days.
So what does water do to our bodies anyway?
- Skin – drinking water helps keep your skin moisturized and plumps up the skin to fill out wrinkles. To help shrink pores, splash cool water on your face. Feels so good!
- Weight loss – if you are feeling hungry, drink a glass of water before reaching for a snack as a little dehydration can give you pangs of hunger.
- Energy – in order to transport vital nutrients throughout the body, water is needed so other systems of the body do not have to work harder in order to keep you going.
- Muscles and joints – headache, muscle aches and joint pain are often caused by dehydration.
- Lubrication – moisture and padding of muscles and joints encourages proper function and decreases rubbing to occur between these areas. Water encourages absorption and the distribution to cells, muscles, membranes and cartilage.
- Transportation – water is transported through the body delivering nutrients to where they are needed and will carry away toxins in the body through sweat and urine.
- Increased mood and brainpower – a well hydrated brain is a quick, witty and cheerful brain.
So you say you don’t like the taste of water? Add a slice of lemon, lime or orange. Add some cucumber slices or even a few mint leaves. Also adding therapeutic grade essential oils such as orange, lemon and grapefruit will give your glass of water extra flavor. These additions will change up the taste and add variety.
So drink plenty of pure plain water throughout the day so your body will feel energized and healthy all summer long!